Give thanks to the Lord, for He is good;
His love endures forever.
Psalm 107:1 NIV
For the past few days I have been feeling overwhelmed; a lot is going on in my world, however in the place of prayer I was reminded of how blessed I am and the many many things the Lord has done for me.
Seasons change, so you might be going through your highs or maybe like me your lows. Regardless, it is important to have a grateful heart no matter what. Thank God for everything. And it is understandable if you find yourself in a state of wanting to complain but I encourage you to be “thankful” instead.
Gratitude leads to joy.
Paul once said,
“And we know that God causes everything to work together for the good of those who love God and are called according to His purpose for them.”
Romans 8:28 NLT
Below are the list of 10 simple things that I feel grateful for.
My Gratitude List
- Gift of life – God has kept me breathing for the past 29 years and 7 months. I am still alive and for this I am thankful. (Side eye -now you know my age, damn!).
- Salvation – I’m thankful for grace that found me through Christ in God and I know that’s the peak of everything, the essence of life and having that, is having everything.
- Health – I’m thankful for good health, in fact it has been great health for me. All my systems are functioning properly. Many are fighting so hard to survive. Of course, I need to take better care of my health ; I need to improve my eating habits, exercise more and overall wellness for the present and the latter.
- Life Lessons – Oh yes! I am thankful for the challenges, bad decisions, failures and all that jazz for it made me a virtually stronger person and a better person. I’ve learnt to understand that there is a joy hidden in every pain and not-so-comfortable situation. Good pain is for good for us. So, yes, not only is adversity part of life, it also keeps me in shape for a better me just like exercise does to the body.
- Broken Heart – Oh yes! I’m gonna give thanks because I no longer feel bitter about them. I now understand that I deserve better, and that the best awaits me only if I won’t give up on love; just a little more. . . and yes, singleness isn’t frustrating, it’s just your mindset.
- Family – I am thankful for the family God has given me. We are all different yet so similar. They bring sparkles and trust me they comes with DRAMA too! But I won’t change each one of them for anything in the world.
- Friends – I am thankful for the few close friends I have. They are all unique and perfect in their own way. When I look at each one of them, I am reminded why God has put them in my life.
- Answered Prayers – I am very thankful for all the answered prayers. God really has been so merciful to me and my family. One thing I know is sure; God hears me when I speak to Him. Often, I am not patient or still enough to hear Him but I know He hears my voice even when I can’t hear His.
- Music – I am thankful for the ears to hear great music, haha! I like almost all genres but Christian music is my favourite. Their words and music inspires me to create and encourages me to continue in this walk of faith
- Media and Technology – Oh yes! I am thankful for this! I won’t be able to do what I do if we don’t have information technology. This blog can be reached by anyone anywhere in the world. I can let my creativity run wild via designing software. What an amazing gift.
“Cultivate the habit of being grateful for every good thing that comes to you, and to give thanks continuously. And because all things have contributed to your advancement, you should include all things in your gratitude.”
Ralph Waldo Emerson
Why don’t you make your own gratitude list?
You might not see the use of it now or maybe you might. The point is, it will help you “Turn your focus to gratitude”.
Start with 10 things you are thankful for? Reflect back on how God has been good to you and how you are blessed.
Enjoy this song by Timothy Reddick, You Covered Me.